Parents are always keen to research which areas have the best schools before purchasing a property, however doing the right research will often lead to the better results. Here are our points to follow to make sure you’re well informed before pressing the button.
- Leave enough time to enrol your child at a local school – this is so you don’t end up finding your dream property and then finding out it’s too late for them to enrol at a particular school and then subsequently sending them somewhere further away.
- Find areas that have good primary and secondary schools, not just one or the other (unless your children have all at least left primary school).
- Try not to base your decision on the most updated league tables, instead find schools which have achieved at a high level consistently over a long period of time.
- Don’t be put off by higher property prices in areas with better local schools; look at it as a long term investment for your children.
- Meet with head teachers to discuss what their schools are all about and what you can expect if you send your children there.
- Research the local transport links as well as its logistics. Does the area suffer from bad traffic every day? Is there a local bus available to take your kids to and from school? If the school is in walking distance that’s also a huge bonus.
- Locate areas that have a range of good schools instead of an area with just one outstanding school; this ensures you have options when it comes to enrolment.
Was any of this advice useful? Find us on Twitter @chewtonrose and let us know.